On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 9:26:25 PM UTC-5, ringmaster wrote:

> On 1/16/2013 5:58 PM, Fornax wrote:
> > Hi folks. I set up a Habari 0.8 instance for my wife last year. She made
> > a few posts, then totally forgot about it. Now she's interested in using
> > it again, but she's forgotten the password. The password reset option
> > would be nice, but I don't know where to configure the SMTP so that it
> > can actually send. Can anyone help me out? I need to either configure
> > email so the reminder can be sent, or recover/reset her account password
> > from the database.
> >
> > I did see one post from a few years ago that looked useful, but the
> > script it referenced (https://www.habariproject.org/utils/ssha512.php)
> > either doesn't exist anymore, or I don't know how to use it.
>
> Yes, it looks like that page was axed when we last transferred hosts.
>
> Habari uses the built-in PHP methods for sending email, which are not
> SMTP unless you've configured PHP quite differently than I've usually
> seen it.
>
> It's probably more reliable when you don't have the email configured to
> set a new password directly into the database.  What you need to do is
> submit the new password to the sha1() function and store that result in
> the database.  You should then change your password to something from
> within Habari, which will store the new password more securely.
>
> If you can't make your own sha1 hashes, here's the sha1 hash for the
> word "password":  5baa61e4c9b93f3f0682250b6cf8331b7ee68fd8
>
> Just be sure to change that immediately after you use it to log in.
>
> Owen

Thanks Owen. Good to know that the email is configured in PHP. That
explains why I couldn't find it anywhere. I'll pursue that from that end.

And thanks for the hint on the password. I actually found another way
around it... I set up a fresh Habari install with her username and a new
password, and transferred the user from that database to hers.