From: HackRF-dev [mailto:hackrf-dev-boun...@greatscottgadgets.com] On Behalf Of
Chuck McManis
Sent: Friday, January 1, 2016 1:38 PM
To: Srinivasan T
Cc: Hackrf-dev
Subject: Re: [Hackrf-dev] Help and Support

Srini, you have remarked about this several times over the last year and while
appreciate your enthusiasm I think this comment:

       > It seems , they don't understand about Radio and 2.4 GHz

Might hit a bit closer to home.  It would suffice it to say that *YOU* don't
understand about Radio and 2.4Ghz and that is why you don't see the obvious way
to answer your own questions, and why we cannot answer them.

2.4Ghz is absorbed by water, because the water molecule forms a small dipole
antenna of the correct length. That is why it is used in microwaves because it
heats the water and that hot water heats the rest of the food. It is also why
it is rarely used for long range communication, as the air has moisture in it
which absorbs the signal, so not only are you fighting the inverse square law
you're fighting atmospheric absorption. When it *is* used to send a signal more
than a mile it is done so with a highly directional antenna pointing at another
highly directional antenna on the receiving end.

If you are seeing *any* sort of bump in the 2.4Ghz band, the source has to be
less than a mile away and probably less than 1000 meters (or 1km). So what ever
it is you're worried about, it is literally right next to you. Second 2.4Ghz is
*HIGHLY* directional, it doesn't bounce much and bounces get double absorption
so using any sort of directional antenna and a bit of geometry you could
exactly pin point any *SOURCE* of 2.4 ghz power. And in my experience once you
look at the thing sending out the RF energy you now exactly what it is trying
to do.

So build one  using a potato chip can
<http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-make-a-wifi-antenna-out-of-a-pringles-can-nb/>
  (or buy
<http://www.amazon.com/USB-Yagi-directional-Antenna-802-11n-2200mW/dp/B003LLS5JI>
 ) a directional WiFi antenna, hook it up, and rotate it around until your
mystery signal peaks. Note your GPS coordinates and the angle with a good
compass. Then drive 500 meters in any direction and do that again, then 500
meters in a *different* direction and do it a third time. (the protects against
you accidentally picking a direction that is in line with the transmitter). Now
take a map, and put your protractor on it, mark your tree measurement points
and the angle. Draw lines out from the point. They will cross at the point
where the transmitter is, go there. Look at the transmitter and what ever it is
will be clear. If it is moving then that would be another good clue for you.

But here is the thing, you will never figure out what this is just by observing
a signal, you have to go look at it.

--Chuck