On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> Furthermore - RedHat themselves distribute "RedHat Linux 9" as
> free downloads from their site, without any accompanying
> support. As such, it is them (the trademark holder) that
> decided that the specific ISOs can be called "RedHat Linux 9".
> Unless copyright law says I cannot distribute them (and I think
> there is a clear consensus here that this is not the case), I
> can distribute them AND call them RedHat Linux 9, because
> that's what they are.
>
> Am I missing something here?

Shachar,

Here's the missing link, as far as I understand it: you're not
distributing abstract code, but rather a physical medium, and
bitwise identity between two media does not make the products
identical, just like molecular identity between two products does
not make them identical. This is why manufacturers of generic
pharmaceuticals are not allowed to use brand names, despite the
fact that their products are exact copies of the original. You
can consider your copies to be a generic distro, identical to
Red Hat in all aspects that are relevant to the user.

I don't understand the legal implications of the trademark
permission for non-profits. I wonder what would happen if a
pharmaceutical company gave a similar exemption, say gave
blank permission to use their brand name to all manufacturers
who distribute the product at-cost in developing countries; I
don't know how this would affect their defense of the trademark
against for-profit generic manufacturers.

-Ron.