On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 06:06:24PM +0200, Eli Billauer wrote:

> The issue is that I can't kill the process. The process number is 11005,
> I go kill -9 11005 as root, and nothing happens (no, there is no process
> number confusion here). This looks like a kernel problem to me (I'm
> using 2.4.21). I mean, is there any normal condition, in which a process
> should *not* be killed as a result of a "9" signal?

Yes. When the process is sleeping an uninterruptible sleep, it cannot
be killed. An uinterruptible sleep happens with the kernel programmer
locks a lock saying "I don't want this call to return until I have
acquired the lock", as opposed to "I don't want this call to return
until I have acquired the lock - unless a signal happens". It is used
in two cases: when the programmer was lazy, or when the programmer
simply must acquire the lock and cannot abort the operation in the
middle.

Usually, you'll see a processes in an uninterruptible sleep
represented as 'D' in ps. Since you say they are 'R', please do
magic-sysrq-t to see where in the kernel they are.

Cheers,
Muli
--
Muli Ben-Yehuda
http://www.mulix.org | http://mulix.livejournal.com/

"the nucleus of linux oscillates my world" - [EMAIL PROTECTED]