On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> > > 1. Buy a set of CDs from us.
> >
> > They already do it. However, they don't have to do it.
> >

> Right, and I want them to have to do it, so it will simplify matters for
> us.

Hmm.. You can't force anyone to buy CDs. Once you do it, you will miss the
whole point of "free" (it's like forcing someone to buy an "entrance
ticket" to a free event).

> Eifhr.

?! (should I google this?)

> > You assume that the person: 1) will know how to update (including all
> > sorts of dependancies). 2) will bother to update. 3) has fast connection to
> > the Internet. No, it's not a good idea.
> >

> Yes, it is. There were a few updates for RedHat 9.0 since the last
> instaparty, and if the people who installed the computers did not update,
> there systems are vulnerable now. We can't escape the fact that we cannot
> leave the newcomers at a clueless stage. Cluelessness doesn't work when
> dealing with computers.

People do not think of maintenance, usually. The "simple user" will not
think of updates. Not too soon, whatsoever. He might even wait for the
systems" (fact, but true). Since no viruses are involved, other security
issues might not interest him (expolits and others).
Cluelessness is the default when one uses a computer with a new OS. You
install to such a person the new OS and from there he would like to have a
working system. He can RTFM and do other things with it - but he doesn't
have to.

> We have to teach them how to install stuff on their own! Many people are
> able to install stuff for Windows as well, as a pristine Windows machine
> does not come with all the required components. (it doesn't come up with
> anything that isn't Microsoft). Installing things is not so hard.

Tell That to Someone Who Cares (tm). Usually people do not care about it.
It's not Windows, in the meaning that it's a whole different attitude. And
if you want to let them "get used" to Linux as much as they would feel
comfortable with their Windows system (assuming they've had one), you have to
show them how, and moreover - to have a listening ear (they don't have to
listen to you. That's what the audience usually chooses). We're usually in
great lack of listeners, unfortunately.

> Regards,
>
>       Shlomi Fish
>

> > > Regards,
> > >
> > >   Shlomi Fish

> > > Shlomi Fish        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
> > >
> > > You are banished! You are banished! You are banished!
> > >
> > > Hey? I'm just kidding!

> > > To unsub send an empty message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Shlomi Fish        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
>
> You are banished! You are banished! You are banished!
>
> Hey? I'm just kidding!

> To unsub send an empty message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Adir Abraham
Technion's Advisors Group and Public PC Farms Manager
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Haifa, Israel
ICQ# 1841481
Cel# +972-53-243438, +972-55-481245
KeyID: 0xD8DC85C7  Fingerprint: 138D 8F41 7A06 44A0  3DBB 9DC3 FE8B 2658