The command line params has been changed, and probably the docs was not
updated since.
You will wish to do conversions like the following:

Old command line:
mencoder -mf on:w=800:h=600:fps=25 -ovc copy -o output.avi \*.jpg

New command line:
mencoder -mf w=800:h=600:fps=25 -ovc copy -o output.avi mf://\*.jpg

And file a bug report to mplayer-DOCS mailing list (
http://mplayerhq.hu/mailman/listinfo/mplayer-DOCS ).

   Cheers,
   Shachar