On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Yoni Rabkin Katzenell wrote:

> "Tzahi Fadida" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > What is the planned scheduele for the lecture?
>
> Don't know since it is not listed in the "future lectures" section of
> haifux.org. I think it was talked about for 7/6/2004, but that doesn't
> make sense since there is already a (very interesting) lecture there.

We talked about scheduling it in June, but we never set a final date for
it. If you can make it on the 7/6/2004 it would be great,
 since Muli will not be available (and specifically not as a lecturer)
on this date.

> > Maybe it would be nice to add examples of before and after images to the
> > photographs enhancements tips.
>
> Here you hit upon a real problem for which I have no real
> solution. Digital photograph editing is at its core delicate and
> requires careful calibration of your equipment. Even if I prepare the
> images beforehand I can't possibly trust the quality, contrast or
> calibration of the projector+computer I'll be using for the lecture.
>
> For example:
>
> The point of making a before-and-after image to show the importance of
> gamma adjustment is to have the "after" image display interesting
> information that was not visible in the "before" image.
>
> My monitor is calibrated for my needs, so I can produce such an image on
> my computer but I cannot say if the differences will be noticeable on a
> different monitor (to say nothing of a projector).
>
> Another possibility:
>
> I'd show a slide and explain its text. Then I would
> load an image into GIMP and show the difference live. The serious
> downside of this is that it is very time consuming and I end up looking
> into the laptop for most of the lecture instead of talking to people. It
> turns from a frontal lecture to a session in which people are invited to
> "look over my shoulder" while I have some fun with GIMP.
>
> As I said, I've no real solution.

I am not sure I completely understand, but would it be possible to
manually reproduce a similar picture (one with details in the dark part,
one with fixed situation), which resembles what is seen on the monitor,
and print it to pass it between the audience?

I do not really understand what image processing this involves or if it
can work, so it is just an idea.

Regarding the slides:
I think there is an extra space in page 12, in the path for xgamma.

If indeed you do not intend to demonstrate live with GIMP (I agree it is
better to lecture rather than invite people to look over your shoulder),
then I think adding screen prints might be in place - for example when
talking about the histogram on page 14. And regarding the "toothcomb" - I
don't know what it is, and I am sure you will explain, but I have a
feeling this explanation is about to be graphical, so you might wish to
add an illustration there.

Digital Darkroom: When you described your lecture, you said you wished to
describe operation which are done in the analogue darkroom, and how to do
them digitally. I believe most/some of the audience has never worked in a
darkroom, and some have never analoguly applied the techniques you
described. Could you speak more about the way to achieve the said effects
(sharpen, for example) in the real darkroom?

Looks like it will be a great lecture, I am looking forward.

Orna.