This suggestion reminds me a story:

In the NESSIE project (european project to evaluate various cryptographic
primitives) we recieved a candidate named Whirlpool - hash function of
512-bit digest.

It's optimized code was so slow that someone wrote about whirlpool:
while you hash with whirlpool, you could hash in SHA-1, MD5, tiger,
SHA-256 concatenate the results, get a faster implementation, and you'll
get more bits in the digest.

This is true, but has no meaning. A paper to be presented tomorrow in
Santa Barbara by Antoine Joux (who found the collision in SHA-0), explains
that to attack such a scheme:
h(x) = SHA-1(x) || MD5(x)
is as hard as breaking the harder between the two (under birthday
attacks).
So a generic attack of finding collisions in SHA-1(x)||MD5(x) requires
only 2^80 computations (and not 2^160 as one might expect).
Also, it is very likely that if the SHA-1 results will be obtained in
similar methods to the ones of MD5, then his ideas will be applicable also
for the new attacks.

--
Orr Dunkelman,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Any human thing supposed to be complete, must for that reason infallibly
be faulty" -- Herman Melville, Moby Dick.

Spammers: http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~orrd/spam.html
GPG fingerprint: C2D5 C6D6 9A24 9A95 C5B3  2023 6CAB 4A7C B73F D0AA
(This key will never sign Emails, only other PGP keys.)