In tha slax I have here (downloaded 2 weeks ago), after the booting, the user get to a console, and asked to log in with the username and password given, and then told what to do in order to load GUI. further more - those instructions are in English, and because they appear in console, I doubt if they can be translated.

Further more - you wrote that you had to "dhcpd eth1". how the user shuld now, that if he connect to dhcp, he need to do it? Or even, that he connect to dhcp?
Knoppix, on the other hand, set up the network automaticly for both static and dynamic networks...

Slax is grate, but only to those are experince enaghe to know they shuld log in and run the GUI. If W2L audiance will load the system and i'll see only console - we lost him.

-Ronen