guy keren wrote:

I don't think it's the "disk gets full". i think its "the page-cache gets
full". try this: get a partition that is already quite full, and run the
test on it. you will not see this problem.

Well, you may get other results if you test it, but what I saw was that if the partition was about to be full, I got one behaviour. Ran the same test after deleting some gigas of data from the partition, got something much better. Back and forth. This is how I reached the conclusion.

The question I find appealing in this context is when the filesystem looks for free blocks. If it does it only by demand, this would explain what happens. IMHO, it would make sense to fire off some tasklet (?) whenever the pool of free blocks starts to get empty, but I have no idea how it really works.

   Eli

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il