On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 02:14:19AM -0400, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> One small point that still bothers me:
>
> On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 01:22:18AM +0300, Michael Vasiliev wrote:
>
> > For the less security aware, there is the kernel support for hardware
> > generators on the motherboard in the current kernel that is about as hard
> > get as running "make menuconfig" and enabling an option. (Well, maybe they
> > miss it because they analyze the kernel source snapshot of December 2004,
> > can
> > anyone confirm?)
>
> Will that work on every motherboard? On every architecture?

No, it depends on the existence of the HW RNG on a given board.

> Anyway, has there been any discussion of their claims after the article
> was published but before it made it to the press? Two monthes is a long
> time. I also read somewhere that the authors claimed that they have
> brought the problems to the attention of kernel developers but nothing
> was done.
>
> Anybody with more information?

I discussed this paper with Matt Mackall, the Linux /dev/random
maintainer, a while ago. As far as I can recall, he thought most of
the claims were pretty dated (i.e., known). He also thought there was
one interesting bit, but we didn't get a chance to discuss it
further.

Cheers,
Muli
--