I agree with Chris, but on a separate level. While I agree that content is
very important, the corresponding context is also important. By implementing
HTML in a semantic way, we – as authors – provide (hopefully) minimal hints
at the context just before the content.

Of course, this falls away as we start piling on extra markup like a giant
"style" attribute (which, arguably, is poor semantic authoring).

Anyway, I appreciate Steve thinking outside the box, but in the end... it's
not for me.

:brad

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Chris Eppstein <ch...@eppsteins.net> wrote:

> The haml-spec project is creating a standard test suite for haml
> implementations. A python implementation of Haml seems like a no-brainer...
> I'm surprised one doesn't exist yet.
>
> As far as your new syntax ideas go with putting the content before the
> markup, I'm not a big fan. Content may be king on the internet but it is
> rarely the most important part for the programmer. I care about what the ID
> and classes are for my elements and this is the part that haml optimizes so
> nicely. Haml is awesome for structural markup. When it comes to markup for
> "content" I often use markdown via the haml markdown filter.
>
> Chris
>

> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Steve Howell <showel...@yahoo.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody, I found about HAML recently and think the concept is
>> pure genius!
>>
>> Since I work mostly in Django, I decided to create a markup that is
>> similar to HAML.  I use it as a preprocessor for Django templates.
>> You can read more here:
>>

>> http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_thread/thread/7a8fbac4572d5c25#
>>
>> I have an idea that I think might resonate with the HAML community.
>>
>> First, let me say that HAML does a great job of providing indentation-
>> based syntax, and that is 80% of the pain when dealing with non-HAML
>> solutions.  I have made no innovations there; instead, I have just
>> ported the concept to Django use cases.
>>
>> Where I differ from HAML is in HTML one-liners.
>>
>> HAML puts the markup on the left:
>>
>>    %strong{:class => "code", :id => "message"} Hello, World!
>>
>> Showell Markup puts the markup on the right:
>>
>>    Hello, World! | strong class="code" id="message
>>
>> The idea is that Content is King!  Markup is just an afterthought.
>>
>> And you can also chain markup as follows
>>
>>  Hello, World | strong | span class="greeting"
>>
>> Start with the content, and then apply markup from left to right, with
>> each new element surrounding the previous.  You get this result:

>> I hope this makes sense.  Good luck bringing HAML to the masses!  It
>> is important stuff.
>>
>> --

>  --

Bradley Grzesiak
listro...@gmail.com

* You have received an email from my personal account. Please do not divulge
this address to any website (eg: evite, shutterfly, etc). I have another
address for such uses; please ask me for it.