If I were redesigning Haml from scratch, I'd actually try to make it *easier
* to write tags and *harder* to write content. That is, I'd have the tag be
the default and the content require an extra character. Something like this:

    html
      head
        title foo
      body
          > This is text.
          > I like text!

Haml has always been focused on the structure of the document. That's why it
has indentation, which makes inline tags harder to use, and why we recommend
the Markdown filter rather than providing better inline formatting options.
And this works well: when you're using Haml, what you're mostly trying to do
is create the structure of the document. An indentation-based tool is simply
not well-suited for dealing with documents that are all about the content.