I'm a big fan of jamesotron hamlbars https://github.com/jamesotron/hamlbars

The most basic thing the gem provides is a helper method for
generating expressions that will later hold interpolated values. The
helper method also accepts blocks, and automatically generates
appropriate opening/closing tags in the template source.

The gem is focused on generating templates that can be consumed and
processed by Handlebars/EmberJS so they're not exactly
underscore-compatible, so that may make this a non-starter for you,
but its an elegant way to deal with with difficulty of generating
closing tags in a template language that eschews them.