> I can't
> see why any teacher would want to prevent you having access to Linux.

My missus is a teacher, so I get to see both sides of the fence :-)

Part of the problem seems to be that ICT (how I hate that term) is often
seen not to be a "proper" subject; there may be no distinction between the
teaching of IT and the in-house IT support function. If that made the
teaching of IT subject to approval by people who know what they're doing,
that would be a good thing. If it's the other way round...

If that weren't bad enough, the staff recruited to teach IT are often from
outside the industry; they know a bit, and they've read the syllabus, but
they don't really have much understanding of the subject. If you've got
someone like that as Head of Department, how often do you expect that Head
to admit to not knowing what's going on? It is less embarrassing just to
continue what you're doing, and not even look at any alternatives.

To effect real change in education, some significant event is necessary.
That might be an agency like BECTA putting forward the argument for Free
Software; it's not going to be this government doing anything to curb
their MS sycophancy.

Vic.