2008/10/9 Tony Whitmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 14:09:10 +0100, Dr Adam J Trickett
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I think it's true, if you turn up at an event and nobody says
>
>> hello you feel a bit odd. I know we all do it and forget to
>
>> introduce ourselves, hence my resolution to try and always say
>
>> hello to people at LUG meetings.
>

> It's a good point, I totally agree. This was one of the reasons for setting
>
> up the front desk, but with less of a rush of people turning up to
>
> meetings, I wonder if this has fallen by the wayside a bit.
>

> Tony

Amen to all the above.
As an only-occasional visitor to the So'ton meetings I certainly find
that there are usually more new (or forgotten ;-) faces than
familiar/remembered ones, and I remember the first few visits feeling
a little bit out of it . I think that due to the often anarchic (lack
of) format of the Soton meetings a new arrival can feel a bit "what's
going on, what am I meant to be doing? (and who's that over there with
the blue hair?)".

That said, shiny gadgets (yours or the other person's) always make a
great ice-breaker for starting a conversation ;-)