I know this sort of request has been done to death many times over the
years but it seems I need a replacement motherboard and googling
for ideas throws up too many competing options.

So would like suggestions for a reasonably priced 64 bit system, I
think I might as well go for 64 bit unless there are very good reasons
not to do so.

I am happy with AMD processors unless Intel can now compete on price,
the existing m/b is approx 12"x9" so need a m/b that size.

I have always gone for a separate graphics card in the past but realise
my pci & agp graphics cards are a bit outdated so built-in graphics may
be the simplest way to go.

My case has 2 usb ports and sound sockets on the side of the case near
the front so would like to be able to use those usb ports if
possible as they are ideally located for plugging in the camera etc.

The existing m/b has 6 usb ports plus the usual sound sockets on the
back but a couple of usb ports is all I need in that location.

So has anyone recently bought something that would suit my needs please
and can recommend it?

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop