2008/10/13 Paul Stimpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hi,

Hi Paul,

> Does your motherboard accept different RAM types and are the old and new
> stcks different?

Don't know about the mobo's preferences.
The new & old sticks have the same connector & keyslot layout (obviously...) ;
they have some visual differences of course (different
manufr-branding, and wd have to open the case again to tell you more);
the new sticks were identified by the Crucial web site tool when I
gave that tool my system's make & model, which I understand to be
quite a reputable tool.
 They are identified on their invoice as '2GB kit (1GBx2), 240-pin
DIMM  Upgrade for a Acer Aspire T180 System' (240-pin DIMM 128Mx64
DDR2 PC2-4200) and a part number.

> What are the latencies of the different sticks?
I can get that from the Crucial site for the new ones. Don't know if I
can tell for the old ones. I suspet this could be the issue...?

> Do the old sticks pass memtest if they're on their own?
Have not tried that setup since adding the new ones. They were
certainly running fine before the upgrade so unless I broke
something...

> Have you tried restoring the BIOS defaults in case the RAM timings have been
> changed?

Have not tried going in to the BIOS. Don't even know what
memory-related settings there may be in there.

A few things for me to check out over the next evening or two.
TBH I don't know that much about how the timings/latencies may vary. I
kind of assumed that the Crucial memory selector would offer 'the
right thing' for the model, which I guess it has since the new memory
unquestionably works; but I guess it may just not be happy working
alongside the old memory.

thanks,