Hugo Mills wrote:

>    I think there are two reasons for perl's reputation. One is that
> perl has rather more awkward corners and bizarre-looking language
> constructs than most non-stunt languages. The second is cultural...
> One of my .sig lines reads:
>
>       "There's more than one way to do it" is not a commandment.
>       It is a dire warning.

This reminds me of my early days with C and how quickly the
shorthand/shortcuts become unreadable and hence difficult to maintain.
Perl is a very powerful and mature and I find that I use it mainly
because there is a wealth of examples to learn from.  I'm slowly moving
to python but find PHP easier for web applications and Perl for
scripting. Whatever language you choose, you must think about
maintenance and security and then it shouldn't really matter which one
you choose. With Linux, you are spoilt as bash, perl and python are
normally installed by default, which possible leads to a similar warning
"if there is more than one language to choose from, it is not a
commandment, it is a dilemma!".

John.