On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 at 10:22:15AM +0100, Phillip Chandler wrote:
> Hi Everyone.
>
> Heres todays brain teaser.
>

> I installed Debian Lenny on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1200) last week. I
> removed Iceweasel using apt-get remove iceweasel, and then ran nautilus
> as root, and deleted all folders relating to mozilla.
>
> I then unzipped firefox 2.x.17 into my home folder, installed libstdc
> ++5, created a link to the right file and it ran perfectly.

Why, what is wrong with Iceweasel? it's just Firefox without the
Mozilla branding and Firefox name. It works fine for me with
normal Firefox add-ons. Other than a logo you wouldn't know you
you were not using Firefox.

> I then installed prefbar and firefox then suffered from severe lag when
> going through the bookmarks.

> So I tried changing xorg to no effect. So then for some reason I
> uninstalled firefox and installed iceweasel and it ran normally with
> bookmnarks and no lag. So trying again I reinstalled firefox, imported
> my bookmarks (WITHOUT prefbar installed) and again there was no lag.
>
> ***** Should have been "Without prefbar installed" NOT "With prefbar
> installed" ***** I really need to concentrate on my typing skills, or at
> least read before hitting "Send"
>

> So Im pretty sure, by the philosophy of Sherlock Holmes, that it is an
> incompatibility issue with Firefox 2.x & Prefbar under Debian Lenny.

Lenny uses "Firefox 3.x" not 2.x, Etch uses a 2.x version.

It's possible that a bad add-on is making it all fall to pieces,
many of them are very buggy.

> So I was wondering if you lads / Ladies had any suggestions. Im wanting
> to get back to Debian as I prefer the rolling release & long term
> support, rather than the Ubuntu 6 month release cycle. Ubuntu has been
> great as a step into the Linux world, and has taught me many wonderfull
> things, but now Im eager to move on.

Which is why I run Debian.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Linux users hate mixed case names, yet Linux supports it.
Windows users love mixed case names, but Windows doesn't support it.
        -- Andrew Tridgell