Edward Beckmann wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks for the replies so far - one problem, the externals I am thinking
> of have no power supply or separate switch - I need to turn off the
> power from the USB port they are plugged into (and where they get their
> power from).  I am trying to avoid lots of plugging and unplugging the
> USB lead.
>
> Apologies for not making this clear from the outset.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ed

Hello Ed

I suspect the answer is 'no'.  I've never come across a way of turning
off the power to a USB port in any OS.  How about a switched USB hub?
This for example: http://usb.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=00394
(just the first thing I found by Googling 'usb hub individually switched'.

On the other hand, some external hard drives power themselves down when
idle (and some of those won't wake up again when Linux wants them to...).

cheers

Chris
--
Chris Dennis                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fordingbridge, Hampshire, UK