On Saturday 22 November 2008 12:03:33 pavithran wrote:
> Hi list ,
> I am planning to buy a eee pc.
> I would like to know about the compatibility of eee pc especially the 901
> series in GNU /Linux distributions.
> Though its bundled with Xandros . I would like to install debian or
> gnewsense .
> Do do we we get the free(gpl'ed) drivers for eee pc ?
I've got ubuntu-eee installed which appears to have drivers for everything. I
think I saw mention on the list of debian-eeepc which  I would assume is
strictly OSS.

> And how is the performance ? Can we do simple tasks like document
> processing ( OO is slow and should obviously be slower in eee) and probably
> code some PHP . Hope I could run apache with mysql on it :)

In my experience, as long as you don't try and do too much at once,
performance is fine. Even OOo 2.4 starts up in a matter of seconds and doesn't
prevent me browsing and having my mail client in the background at the same
time. I've got Apache and PHP running to run a wiki, too.

Cheers,
Mark