Hi Bob,

If you find the answer to this one please do post it as I may also be
interested in doing something similar. IIRC there was a recent thread either on
here or Surrey (to do with powering down USB hard drives I think) that had
something to do with identifying port numbers on hubs.

If this information is available it should hopefully be possible to modify the
hotplug or udev code to name the devices based on the bus number and port
numbers of the connected hub chain instead of in sequence (e.g. The USB serial
adaptor connected to the 4th port of a hub connected to the 3rd port of a hub
connected to the 2nd port of the root hub of bus 1 might be ttyUSB1234 unstead
of ttyUSB17.)

Cheers,
Paul.