On Wednesday 03 Dec 2008, Alan Bell wrote:
> Alan Pope wrote:
> <snip rambling>
>
> > We should be looking at ways of promoting what we have, our advantages
> > over the competition, our strengths, not kick off knee-jerk copy-cat
> > reactionary marketing. The public see through that very quickly. Take
> > the appalling Novel "I'm Linux" adverts as a prime example of how
> > _not_ to do it.
>
> as luck would have it we are working on a marketing campaign right now,
> it is far too early to share it with anyone, but I will anyway (just
> don't blog it yet). Basically what we are saying is that there is loads
> of great Free software out there, but it is a secret - don't tell Bill.
> Kind of like the "don't tell Sid" thing that was used when Thatcher sold
> our gas. We can use this theme to talk about all sorts of Free software
> and of course the services that are available to help people take
> advantage of it. Here http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com/Postcards.pdf
> is some sample artwork for postcards we could send to small businesses
> (but I think we prefer the full colour version) let me know what you
> think. Obviously the stuff we do will have an Open Learning Centre theme
> to it, but there is no reason why anyone else couldn't do their own
> "don't tell Bill" marketing.

I like it, it's quite amusing and gets the point across. Here is something you
can legally save money with but don't tell anyone or everyone will know how
to save money... The people who know who Bill is will think it's funny
everyone else will get the idea that they are supposed to tell everyone
really.

It reminds me of  http://browsehappy.com/  which seems to have gone silent - I
hope you are able to maintain some momentum.

Good luck with the campaign.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
        -- Napoleon Bonaparte