> I got a letter about a month later saying they had no record of my holding
> a TV license at my office address and asking me to either buy one or
> explain why not? I ignored it, they wrote to me again about 3 months later
> with slightly more threatening language and I ignored that as well. I've
> heard nothing more from them.

I had a rather different experience.

I bought a digital decoder. I gave my name & address as I'm obliged to.

They sent me a letter telling me I need a licence - even though there was
already a licence for the property.

A couple of weeks later, I've got some bloke on the phone telling me I
need to buy a licence - to which I replied that I don't. He got ever more
irate, so I just kept telling him that his database was borked, and I had
all the licences I needed. Eventually, he yelled that he was "just trying
to do me a favour", and slammed the phone down.

A few days later, there's a knock at the door, and a TV licence inspector
is there, telling me all about how I didn't have a licence, and was
therefore likely to be fined a grand. So I told him I had all the licences
I needed. He rang his office - who confirmed that, yes, there was a
licence in force, and I did have all the licences I needed.

Another great use for the licence fee that day...

Vic.