On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 at 10:56:49PM +0000, Alan Bell wrote:
> Any chance of a weekday evening meeting (or daytime for that matter but
> I suspect evening would suit more people) from time to time. Saturdays
> are really not a good day for me at all.

I'm not opposed to the idea, but I know a bring a box meeting on a
Saturday is very popular. A tech meeting or social in the evening
on a weekday is fine if it's possible to find a location and
enough warm bodies.

Our neighbours to the north only do a monthly social meeting in
Reading at a pub (SCLUG) and the London.pm do more frequently than
monthly social meetings with less frequent technical meetings.
Surrey have done some pub meets as well as their normal Bring and
Box meetings.

Were you thinking of a pub meeting for a few hours after work, and
if so where?

Or were you thinking of a technical meeting - a few presentations
and such?

Given the limited time in an evening some people won't travel,
which is a problem in a rural county like Hampshire. The London.pm
have plenty of social meetings because it's easy on London to nip
to the pub and get home at a sensible time, it's harder to arrange
in Hampshire.

http://www.sclug.org.uk/

http://london.pm.org/meetings/

http://www.surrey.lug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PubMeets

> Alan.
>

> Hants LUG Chairman wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Just a quick reminder about our next two meetings.
> >
> > Saturday 13 December at the University of Surrey in Guildford with the
> > Surrey
> > LUG. Details on their web site:
> >
> > http://www.surrey.lug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?BringABox/UniversityOfSurrey
> >
> > In the new year, the next meeting will take place on Saturday 10 January at
> > the University of Southampton. Details on our site:
> >
> > http://www.hants.lug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SeminarRoom1
> >
> > TALKS:
> >
> > I'm giving a talk at the December meeting (a repeat I'm afraid) and if all
> > goes well we will have a talk on digital photography in January.
> >
> > Lots of people have asked or volunteered to give talks and the talks page
> > is
> > getting a tad muddled so I'm planning to clean it up shortly. Now would be
> > really good time to re-volunteer for a talk so we can put you at the top of
> > the list! Or if you want to learn about something we can try and coerce a
> > speaker for you.
> >
> > In case I don't see "you" before the new year, Seasons Greetings and best
> > wishes for the New Year.
> >

> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk

Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
        -- Napoleon Bonaparte