On Wed Jan 07, 2009 at 16:43:18 +0000, David Ramsden wrote:

> Using squid as opposed to something like APC sounds like a better idea.

  :)

> The website administrator has just turned off images within signatures
> and the performance has increased significantly. So the ability to cache
> images is attractive.

  In that case you might find moving images to a dedicated host
 and setting up pound to proxy to it would be useful.

  I did that on one site - the main site was www.example.com, and
 all images were hosted on img.example.com.

  Then I had apache running to handle the main site, nginx to handle
 just the images, and pound at the front to direct traffic to either
 localhost:80 (apache) or localhost:81 (images).

  Even with the extra processes running it was significantly faster
 than previously - although the additional complexity made it a little
 irritating.

Steve
--
Debian GNU/Linux System Administration