Jim Kissel wrote:

> David Ramsden wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've recently been helping out with a server performance problem, for a
>> club I'm a member of. The site runs a vBulletin forum (PHP+MySQL). The
>> server also hosts a few other domains but these are personal blogging
>> sites and don't receive too many hits.
>>
>> In a nutshell, I'm looking for hints, tips and experiences from people
>> who've dealt with web servers that receive a high volume of hits.
>>
> Unless you are hooked on some specific Apache feature, I would suggest
> you switch to lighttpd for performance.

Thanks Jim. lighthttpd would certainly help and would meet the current
requirements (vhosts and PHP).

However, the person who owns the server isn't very confident with Linux.
They currently use Plesk. I'd personally want to remove Plesk and do
everything by hand but this probably isn't going to happen. I have no
idea if Plesk can configure lighttpd so this may be a show stopper.

Regards,
David.
--
  .''`.     David Ramsden