Tony Whitmore wrote:
> We've talked in the past about secure data erasure, using things like DBAN
> which use wiping algorithms approved by the US DoD. The BBC news website is
> carrying a story today encouraging people to get physical and smash their
> drives. Now, whilst I can see that putting a hard disk that has come
> straight from a computer on ebay, or one that has been trivially formatted
> or had files "erased" is probably a risk, is it really worth getting people
> to attack their hard drives with hammers? (Never mind the Health & Safety
> implications!)

> Tony

I like this bit on the web page:

---
"It sounds extreme, but the only way to be 100% safe is to smash your
hard drive into smithereens."

Because those smithereens contain environmentally harmful materials,
they should be recycled - for instance at the vendor from whom a new
hard drive is purchased.
---

Can you imagine what would happen if you turned up at PCWorld with a bag
of platter shards and said "Recycle that!" ?

cheers

Chris

--
Chris Dennis                                  cgden...@btinternet.com