On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 09:17:09AM +0000, Tony Whitmore wrote:
> is it really worth getting people to attack their hard drives with
> hammers? (Never mind the Health & Safety implications!)

No, but I suppose we need some sort of education so that people
understand that a hard drive is probably around as sensitive as a
big stack of letters containing personal details.  People are very
aware that they need to shred such letters, but don't think twice
about just putting an old computer with hard drive in a skip.

So in terms of "is it strictly necessary?" No I don't think so, but
it may be the easiest way to educate.

From my limited sample size of non-technical friends and family,
they store a lot of important information on their computers, they
have no backup regime, and they do not practice any sort of data
security (encrypted filesystems, secure disposal of data etc.).

Of course if the disk could be reused then a simple run of DBAN is
safe to a fantastical level of paranoia.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB

My words are my own and do not represent Jacqui Caren.