I decided to be clever today and encrypt my Eee PC's home partition.
I followed [1] to copy all my files correctly, and [2] for creating and
automounting an encrypted home partition.
However,  now when I try to log in, I get:
login: PAM Failure, aborting: Critical error - immediate abort

Looking back, I have a feeling I neglected to do "mkdir /home" after moving
/home to /old_home. Could this be causing the error? If not, any suggestions
what's up. And more importantly, can anyone tell me how I'd get to single
user/recovery mode? I've got Super Grub Disk [3] on a USB drive, but all i
seem to be able to do with that is boot into the broken system (there's no
grub menu displayed on boot from the internal drive).

A million thanks,
Mark

[1] http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/01/29/move-home-to-its-own-partition/
[2] http://pupeno.com/blog/encrypted-home-in-ubuntu-8-10