The best way I have found is to take a gas blow torch to the platters if
you are that paranoid.
Or mayme
I was working on a project many years ago in Germany for the Army. One
of the computers HDD crashed. It was a fixed head dual RK05 replacement
(2.4Mb) ans was in the front passenger seat of a Landrover.
We took the HDD out and were escorted to Osnabruck the three Rovers
fullt of MP's with loaded rifles. We were then flown back to the UK to
Fairford. Then another armed convoy took the HDD to GCHQ where the whole
thing was melted down and put in a vault for 100year.
That is paranoid....

Stephen D