> can anyone recommend a modern linux distrubution to install on the above
> mentioned laptop? i've tried slax, redhat and knoppix to no avail and
> ended up using mandriva 8.1, which installs but won't recognise my
network
> cards.

I don't think anyone has mentioned tinycore [1] on this list yet. The basic
10 MB iso contains no applications just X, a terminal and a package
manager. I couldn't say whether it will recognise your hardware. It is run
by Robert Shingledecker of DSL fame so if you liked that you might be
interested in this.
At 10 MB it will only take you a few seconds to download and burn a cd,
worth giving a go to see if it at least recognises your wired nic.

Will Davies

[1] http://www.tinycorelinux.com/