Paul Stimpson wrote:

> One of the guys at work doesn't have use of his hands and has a Natural Point
> TrackIR (http://www.naturalpoint.com) which is a head tracking system. It's a
> small IR camera that tracks where you look so the pointer always follows your
> head.

Fantastic! I am amazed at the kit that is available to overcome physical
problems these days.

My Dad is totally blind and briefly toyed with the idea of getting a PC,
abandoning it when we couldn't find anything that would overcome his
blindness that was truly usable. However, having looked at the latest
screen-reader technology that ships with Adriane Knoppix I think that
the day is not far off when we see that sort of cheap, practical
usability become available for all.

> On the subject of work. If you are employed and are having physical problems
> related to your work then I believe your employer is required by law to
> provide you with an Occupational Therapist consultation and whatever
> equipment is needed to remedy it. That is certainly what happens at our
> workplace.
>
> You may find that your problems are a consequence of bad ergonomics on your
> workstation and that altering your chair/keyboard/screen height and poisition
> may fix them.

Yes, and if you have anything approaching a serious or long-term problem
you'd do well to get it checked by a recommended professional who can
advise a solution, monitor your progress and alter the prescribed
treatment if and when necessary. That's not a cop-out disclaimer some
much as it is simple good advice - self-diagnosis and self-medication
are rarely if ever a good thing.

> Good luck. Let me know what you find,
> Paul.

Blackberry wireless devices are the devil's work where ergonomics are
concerned - they make laptops look positively healthy by comparison!

;-)

Sean

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knoppix#Adriane_Knoppix

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.