Lisi wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 April 2009 10:25:21 Sean Gibbins wrote:
>
>> My Dad is totally blind and briefly toyed with the idea of getting a PC,
>> abandoning it when we couldn't find anything that would overcome his
>> blindness that was truly usable.
>>

> I know two totally blind people who use computers.  I rather fear tho' that
> they both use Windows.
>
> I am about to communicate with one of them by email.

Dad went blind in the army and as such is supported by St Dunstan's, so
expense is not an issue and I am as happy supporting Windows as I am
Linux, although for obvious reasons my preference is with the latter.

The good thing with Adriane is that it comes on a live CD and would
therefore not require an enormous investment to test, something that
previously put Dad off. I may refloat the idea with him and report back
on my findings. Indeed, I might give it a go blindfolded myself,
although having spent many hours in proper blackout conditions
(professional E6 film processing) I can say this is not quite the same
as seeing no light.

His primary use for a PC would be to browse the Web sites of audio book
publishers, something he is currently dependent on my mum and my sister for.

I think the problem we encountered was that a lot of the available
software seemed to be of most use to partially sighted people, who are
blind in a sense (no pun intended), but not totally blind like my
father. He reads braille and I know that there are braille screen
readers available, but it is best considered a good workaround from a
previous age rather than an efficient way to communicate, according to
Dad. He can also touch type, which I assume would be an enormous benefit.

Adriane, the audio screen reader enabled version of Knoppix, seemed
quite nice because it allows you to, say, start just a Web browser after
booting into a simple menu of 8 or so items, cutting down on the amount
of information flowing from the speakers to the ears of the blind
person. That said, it is still pretty full-on as you tab between the
screen elements and the machine-voice reads each one!

I'd be interested to hear about acquaintances' experience with their OS,
if they're amenable, Lisi.

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.