2009/4/29 Luke Stutters <lukest...@gmail.com>

> Hello HantsLUG, I have a wicked plan to put up a smart looking wireless
> photo frame in a science lab and educate the masses from a safe distance.
>
> Here are some of those frames:
>
> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/151861
>

> http://www.amazon.co.uk/I-MATE-Momento-Digital-Photo-Frame/dp/B000RZMARE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1241033795&sr=1-5
>

> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Digital-Photo-Picture-Frame/dp/B001B9RIRM/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1241033795&sr=1-15
>
> However, a review on Amazon mentions problems with the Linux:
>
>  > I bought this unit some months ago on the grounds of its quality
>  > pictures and wifi capability. Completely ignored the fact that
>  > Linux was not supported as hardly anyone does, but you can get
>  > most things to work with it.
>  > Firstly the quality is just as good as expected, miles better than
>  > the cheaper frames available. Then Linux - massive problem as this
>  > unit uses the Media Player 11 capabilities and I was completely
>  > stumped for several months - not too much of a problem as it reads
>  > SD cards and USB keys as well as the on-line thing. A couple of
>  > days ago I came across TwonkyMedia (their name, not mine!) and
>  > problem solved. Works absolutely brilliantly.
>  > Only 4 stars as Twonky requires licence.
>
> It seems likely that all these wireless photo frames are powered by
> WMP11 strangeness. Does anyone have any experience with this exciting
> new technology?

I would be wary of anything that requires WMP11. I did see some wireless
frames a while ago that worked in linux, but only because they got the
photos via a rss feed from a website (which I believe you had to pay a
subscription to, which is just as bad).

Why can't people make one that just has a simple webpage to configure it to
use a samba share?

Anton

--
Anton Piatek
email: an...@piatek.co.uk

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a
significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.