Hi Paul,

On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 02:52:44PM +0100, Paul Tansom wrote:
> Before I start rejigging the Ubuntu live CD I thought I'd see if anyone knew
> of
> an alternative that may save me some time. What I'm looking for a is a boot CD
> that has RAID and LVM support built in. Ideally it would automatically detect
> the RAID and mount any partitions on there, including any on LVM, but I don't
> mind a bit of manual work.

Would have thought most of the live CDs these days would support
software RAID and LVM - you need devicemapper at least for most of
the encrypted disk solutions anyway.

Sorry I can't help more, but as an aside..

If your goal is to make administering the systems easier, then I
would strongly suggest putting / and /boot outside of LVM.  Yes it
is perfectly possible to have / in LVM (/boot a bit trickier, but
doable in some circumstances).  It will work flawlessly almost all
the time, but when it breaks it is a real pain to sort out.

Root on a "real" block device relies less on your initrd, and its size
rarely needs to change so you can generally just make it 1G to start
with and forget about it.  If any part of it develops a new usage
profile then you can just put that bit in an LV of its own, just as
you did for /var, /usr/ /home and whatever else.

> I've just tried a Knoppix CD, but sadly that won't boot (I need to explore the
> VGA drivers), and I'll probably look at Morphix before starting any custom
> builds.

That's a shame; for a long while I've used a remastered knoppix cd
which does everything over serial as my "just boot it off this"
instruction to remote hands in far off places..

<taras> for me, java is like tampax, a necessary evil
<Robert> What are you doing in Java that you can't do in Visual Basic?
<taras> I am running an application written in Java