2009/6/4 Paul Tansom <p...@aptanet.com>:
> ** Andy Smith <a...@strugglers.net> [2009-06-02 21:41]:
>> Would have thought most of the live CDs these days would support
>> software RAID and LVM - you need devicemapper at least for most of
>> the encrypted disk solutions anyway.
>
> I guess it depends on the purpose of the live CD. If it is a recovery/utility
> CD then possibly. If it is a try before you install CD then possibly not. I
> assume this is why it isn't on the Ubuntu live CD. There's not need for
> support
> on the CD to allow you to try the OS, but it is available during the install
> process if you want to set it up on your HD.

Whilst Ubuntu Live CD doesn't have mdadm installed on it, and the
Ubiquity installer doesn't have support explicitly built in for Linux
MD, that's not a massive issue if you have a net connection.

1) Boot from Live CD
2) Get online
3) sudo apt-get install mdadm
4) Issue various mdadm commands to scan for and enable the md devices
5) Do whatever you wanted to do with the install CD. This includes
recovering data, restoring, backing up and of course installing.

I installed on my desktop PC which has two hard disks. I booted from
the live CD and used the command line to install mdadm within the live
environment, then configured the array and started the installer.

Cheers,
Al.