Hi

Check if the files are readable in linux.

I they are readable then we know we have a USB disk which has not been
damaged.  USB disks are very prone to have their partition table damaged if
they are pulled out of a windows machine without being correctly unmounted.

It could be a job for the testdisk program.

You could try copying the files onto DVD and transferring them that way.

Windows Professional is a very nice operating system.  Sometimes it is
possible to prevent USB drives from automounting as a protection against USB
automounting viruses.  This may be the case here.

There is also a drive facility in computer services which could be set to
limit the drives available.  What does a USB stick do?

If the Drive partition table has been irretrievably damaged.  Do a Drive Copy
Clone onto a new drive.  Then run testdisk on the newdrive and hopefully the
testdisk should get your partition table back.

I don't use windows these days so I can barely remember how to do the more
esoteric things although with a computer manual and a keyboard I can still get
my way round windows.

John Eayrs