On Sat, 2009-06-13 at 23:12 +0100, John Cooper wrote:
> Phillip Chandler wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-06-13 at 21:38 +0100, John Cooper wrote:
> >> Don't forget you need a valid MS office license to run under Crossover
> >> and that doesn't mean just because you have the windows version you can
> >> install another in Linux. Are you happy paying £200+ for that?
> >
> > Yep got that.
>
> And you are happy to pay £200+ plus for your MS habit?

Im more than happy to pay for a product that does what I want, and is
used by most (if not all) companies that I temp for, and isnt bloated.

> >> OO is free to download and use. OO not only supports MS formats but its
> >> own document formats, Writer using the ISO standard ODT, unlike MS
> >> office. It also has direct PDF export which is very useful.
> >
> > Dont really need PDF export, and if I do then I go online to export one
> > doc every decade.
>
> So you send Word docs which can contain viruses? Do you virus scan
> before sending? Although PDFs may have exploits they are still safer
> than Word docs and can't be altered. They are a true cross platform format

You may find this hard to believe, but all MS O/S's that Ive installed,
Ive only installed what Ive needed to do my work. Ive kept my system
pretty clean, and have only ever been infected by viruses twice, and
that was back in the days when Id download anything and didnt know
better. I also disable java, javascript etc by default. If I go to a web
site that needs flash, then I dont worry about staying there long
enough. Plus I would regularly scan my system, and always scan stuff I
receive from "Friends".

> >> The majority of people will find OO good enough to use and its startup
> >> speed will improve as it is being improved all the time.
> >>
> >> For those who think MS office or OO are too bloated, well suggest an
> >> alternative rather than saying both are rubbish. We all need to use
> >> something to compose letters, create spreadsheets and presentations and
> >> I'm very happy with OO for that.
> >>
> > Abiword ?
> >

> Abiword only provides basic word processing and can't be compared with a
> full office suite. Most companies need to compose letter, spreadsheets
> and presentations.

Most users of word, abiword, OO or anything else would only use less
than 50% of the functions included. Most home users writing a standard
letter, will only use things like BOLD, Justification etc. So from that
point of view, then yes all letter writing programs are bloated. If you
are just writing a standard letter to Aunty Mildred in South Australia,
then why use a computer ? Why not use pen and paper, that surely isnt as
bloated as an office suite. In fact whats wrong with gedit or a text
editor ?

AFAIK if anyone uses 50%+ of office suite fuctions, then they are doing
a specific job. I worked for one company and the database manager would
write scripts to extract data from a database, and append it to the end
of a spreadsheet etc, plus create daily reports about what data was
extracted, added and what it was for.

I think its all down to choice. I dont have a fast machine, so cant
afford to have slow, bloated stuff taking up valuable HDD space or
system resources. Thats why I prefer MS Office to OO.
If I was lucky enough (like some of you) who had dual core, quad core
systems, with the top amount of memory, and maybe a HDD over 500MB, then
I wouldnt worry, as Id have the space, and the system power to still run
stuff faster than it would on my system.

> --
Phillip Chandler
phillip.chand...@ntlworld.com
Mobile : 07948 342882
Voip : 01635 767075

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended
solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views
or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of the company the sender represents.

If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments,
you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them
to anyone.

error.