At 21:28 15/06/2009, you wrote:
>Roger Munford wrote:
> > I have a PC (6 months old) which dual boots windows XP with Ubuntu which
> > is used by the family. My son switched off the power before Windows shut
> > down and it doesn't boot anymore. Ubuntu is unaffected and so I don't
> > believe that any hardware has failed.
> >
> > My main gripe is with the so called "recovery console" which should have
> > been the path to recovery. However it refused to start. This is
> > apparently due to the absence of SATA drivers which can helpfully be
> > fixed by putting them on to a floppy disk - if I had a disk drive.
> >
> > Thanks to Ubuntu, I have all the data and I was happy to re-install XP
> > but when I tried that, setup just hung "looking for previous windows
> > versions". To verify that these problems were linked to the Sata
> > drivers, I tried an old IDE disk with a win2k partition which was found
> > both by recovery console and setup within a few seconds.  It makes me
> > angry that a company with the resources of Microsoft do not have better
> > tools and I am convinced that this is deliberate.
> >
> > During the struggle I came across ntsfix which  unfortunately wasn't a
> > substitute  for chkdsk  but it reset XP's  log which  triggered chkdsk
> > when XP was rebooted. Unfortunately the screen went blank at the end so
> > I don't know the results.
> >
> > Can anybody advise on what to do next?  I installed XP on the blank SATA
> > disk when it was new without a problem and do not understand why setup
> > cannot do it again or at least give a sensible reason. I would prefer to
> > leave Ubuntu undisturbed and if possible the existing windows data. I am
> > not even confident that re formatting the whole drive would allow me to
> > reinstall.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > Roger
> >

>You can reinstall XP without the SATA drivers by going into your BIOS
>settings and looking for something labelled SATA Native Mode or AHCI
>mode. If you have the former, set it to disabled for the install, if you
>have the latter set it to IDE (they're the same things just different
>names). This setting makes your SATA drive behave like an PATA drive for
>the install. Once you've reinstalled the AHCI drivers for your
>motherboard you can change the setting back.

Yes its called something like NativeIDE on my gigabyte MB.

I left it as IDE since syllable OS and w2k doesnt support AHCI with my
gigabyte motherboard.

There is also a roll your own windows install cd that can be made with
your motherboard drivers. I havent done it myself though so i dont have a
link.

Tell us how you get on

Martin N

Owner of the bwfc yahoogroup and Co-Moderator of  MiniDisc and
amithlonopen yahoo groups.