2009/6/15 Roger Munford <rogermunf...@parussoftware.co.uk>:

> I have a PC (6 months old) which dual boots windows XP with Ubuntu which
> is used by the family. My son switched off the power before Windows shut
> down and it doesn't boot anymore. Ubuntu is unaffected and so I don't
> believe that any hardware has failed.
>
> My main gripe is with the so called "recovery console" which should have
> been the path to recovery. However it refused to start. This is
> apparently due to the absence of SATA drivers which can helpfully be
> fixed by putting them on to a floppy disk - if I had a disk drive.

I think windows install likes to be the only OS. So, you have to
install windows first, and then Linux afterward. If the PC is quite
recent, why not just install XP as a virtual machine. It should run
fast enough if your CPU has VT extensions.
Only problem might be 3D games that do not work well on virtual machines.
Another alternative is to purchase a new HD, remove the Ubuntu one and
put XP on the new one. Then re-introduce the Ubuntu HD after XP
install.