On Tuesday 30 June 2009 09:06:28 john lewis wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 15:06:14 +0100
>
> Lisi <hants...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > And the most recent installation of Lenny I did (last week) had
> > neither K3b nor CUPS there by default in the Desktop packages.  This
> > is the first time that this has happened to me.  There was no other
> > CD burner so far as I could see.
>
> Hi Lisi
>
> I have never used or needed k3b or any other graphical tool for writing
> CDs, Debian provides wodim, not sure if by default but aptitude install
> will get it for you. I use it like this from a terminal
>
> wodim -v dev=/dev/cdrom speed=4 /home/jayell/downloads/*.iso
>

> --
> John Lewis
> using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop

Hi, John,

Thanks for that.  That will come in very useful.  Sorting out how to burn CDs
at the CLI is on my list of "to do"s but I hadn't yet got round to it.  There
are several things that I choose to do at the command line as a result of
your help, and I really appreciate that help.

But the case I mentioned was for someone else and the missing packages were
only an "aptitude install" away.  :-)

It just seemed strange that things as basic as those had not been included as
standard.

Lisi