Hi Pavithran,

I'm the (current) web master for HantsLUG so I guess I can answer some
of your questions/concerns.

2009/7/30 pavithran <pavithra...@gmail.com>:
> The pictures at http://hants.lug.org.uk/gallery/ are really good but
> the gallery software looks too old :(

It's gallery 1.5.4 which has been around a while and has served us
well. I initially setup the gallery many years ago to host photos
taken at LUG meets. Since then gallery2 has been released but we've
never had a request to upgrade, yours is the first.

We don't tend to have too many people taking photos at LUG meets any
more, and those that do probably have their own hosting, whereas when
we started doing this, many people didn't.

> Here are my requests:
> 1. Please update the gallery software

It's the latest version of gallery 1.x supplied in Debian 4.0 that we
use on the server. Gallery2 is in the repository too, but I've
personally had issues migrating from gallery1 to gallery2 so in the
past have been reluctant to do so. These issues include:-

* URLs to photos changing in the upgrade, breaking search engine fu,
and any inbound links from elsewhere.
* Increased load on the server as the new version of gallery
introduces cpu-intensive photo scaling features.

If anyone has experience of mitigating these two outstanding issues
then I'm happy for us to move with the times and move to gallery2.

> 2 . Use some candy template ( but usable)

In the interim I have changed the template used on the site, one
chosen pretty much at random. No, I'm not looking for opinions on
which theme to use right now, I just changed it because the existing
one was somewhat plain.

> 3. Upload more recent pics

If someone takes some, sure. I am happy to create accounts for
HantsLUG members for the gallery on the understanding that they will
only upload photos from LUG meets where there is no legal/taste reason
they should not.

Cheers,
Al.