I wonder if we can take this discussion a bit further - possibly expanding it
so that it does not just cover the 'ultimate' system.

If there was a smart linux hardware+software package to fit neatly under the
TV for less than £250 that could combine the roles of PVR, network interface
and DVD writer (blue-ray for a bit extra?) then it could be a very attractive
consumer product.  I see the Hants Wiki has thought a bit about the options
but has not come up so far with any solutions.

Of the three main suggestions made in the current discussion, (I know nothing
about the X-Box), John Wesleys seems to have the most options, but I query
the power requirement (is 65 W high these days?), the TV tuner (freeview
and/or freesat - USB stubs would look out of place) and most importantly the
user interface (we really need a handheld).  Also are there drivers for the
VIA CX700M2 graphics chip which is a key component.  The total price comes
out around £500 (without a blueray writer) which is a bit on the high side.

In comparison Alan Pope's Acer Aspire seems much more cost effective - but
does it need another box for the (twin) TV tuner and does it look right under
the TV?  Is the power sufficient to handle two input and one output TV
streams at once?  The great advantage with such a package is that the drivers
should always work and problems like power/heat dissipation and hardware
compatability should have been sorted out.

Finally Hugo Mills' Popcorn Hour looks very professional but has none of the
PVR properties which, from now on is likely to be considered essential.

Anyway I wonder if we could start with these - as three levels which might
attract interest - and then have suggestions about how they could be improved
and what software would work together.  Maybe a winter meeting devoted
to 'around the house' media systems would be useful.

Regards,

David Webb

Brief summaries:

John Wesley, Hardware + Mythbuntu: £425
   processor:      Via C7
   memory:         1 Gb
   Hard Drive:     1.5 Tb
   Optical drive:  None
   Graphics:       VIA UniChromeTM Pro II 3D/2D AGP
   Monitor:        None
   Networking:     Ethernet (RJ-45)
                   Firewire
   Controls:       Mouse and Keyboard
   Power supply:   65W adaptor
   Audio/Video:    1 x DVI
                   1 x RJ45
                   1 x miniDIN (S-Video)
                   1 x Triple RCA (composite video and steoeo)
                   1 x Triple RCA (component video)
                   1 x S/PDIF coaxial
                   1 x S/PDIF optical
   Internal ports: 2 (+ 4) x USB
                   1 Front panel audio header
                   1 Audio line in header
                   1 LPC header
                   1 LVDS header
                   1 TV out header for SCART and D-terminal
                   1 video connector for VGA output
                   1 x video input and SMBUS
                   1 x PS2 mouse/keyboard header
                   2 x SATA
   Other connectors: 2 x fan connectors
                   1 x ATX power connector
   TV Control:     Keyboard?!!
   TV Receiver:    PCI Card

Alan Pope, Acer Aspire Revo Desktop PC + Linux(?)  £155.99
   Processor:      Intel Atom
   Memory:         1 Gb
   Hard Drive:     160 Gb
   Optical drive:  None
   Graphics:       NVidia IONth
   Monitor:        None
   Networking:     WiFi (802.11)
                   Ethernet (RJ-45)
   Controls:       Mouse and Keyboard
   Power supply:   65W adaptor
   Audio/Video :   1 x D-sub VGA
                   1 x HDMIth
                   Headphones, Mike
   Other ports:    6 x USB 2.0
                   1 x eSATA
                   1 x Mini PCI express slot
   TV Control:     Keyboard?!!
   TV Receiver:    mini PCI card?

Hugo Mills:  Popcorn Hour A-110, Syaba OS(?), $215 (£215?)
   Memory:          256 Mb
   Networking:      Ethernet
   Power:           12V (Less than 36 W)
   Audio/Video:     HDMI v1.3a (up to 1080p)
                    Component Video
                    S-Video
                    Composite Video
                    Stereo Analog Audio
                    S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio
   Other ports:     1+2 USB
                    SATA
   TV Control:      Hand held remote control
   TV Receiver:     The system streams data from the www, other computers and
attached storage.  It is not clear of it can also act like a PVR and record
from digital TV input, say via a receiver connected to a USB port.