I am puzzled by one of the responses to this thread.

If you have to build some kernel modules and it is a real PITA when the
kernel is upgraded to get it all working again
 then as this is a Media Centre and therefore a pretty statically
defined system then why are you doing upgrades to the kernel etc if
everything works and is not broken?

This constant need to upgrade (& Possibly break) working systems is
always feels a bit wrong to me. If it ain't broke then don't fix it
seems to be about right here.
Ok, if there are problems with say MythTV and a new release fixes them
fine buat as I say, if it is all working fine, then why upgrade?

Stephen D