Stuart Sears wrote:
>> Basically, I've found that each one offers some of the functionality I
>> want, but not all of it, so I end up using about 3, and the command
>> line. E.g.:
>> exfalso: - cddb lookup isn't great. it doesn't seem as successful at
>> finding CDs as other tag editors.
>>      - it doesn't cope well if another program updates the tags in a file,
>> it just seems to ignore them
>>      - it has a habit of asking if I'm sure I want to make changes for
>> *every* song I update.
>
> Now, you really should be able to turn that off. I don't know if you
> can, mind.
My thoughts exactly :)

>> easytag: - I can't find out how to get it to work with multiple artists
>> and genres.
>>      - I don't think it works with custom tags.
>
> Multiple Genres on the same album? Interesting :)
Yep. I use it for tagging songs with broad and specific genres.

> I liked the mass renaming capabilities of easytag, using the filter
> editor, including renaming/creating directories - not found much else
> that does that bit quite as well. (well, actually amarok used to be able
> to do similar things, IIRC)
>
>> Also neither of them work brilliantly when I have an album in two
>> formats in a directory.
>
> I've never had that issue - I tend to separate them into subdirs in that
> situation. You really leave all the files in the same directory?
> Most Linux media players would have an issue with that as well, in my
> experience.
Hmmm. What I generally do now is: after I've bought a CD, I rip it then
convert it to flac to store on the computer and ogg to put on my mp3
player, so I get both lots in the same directory before tagging. Then
the flac gets tagged, copied to the ogg and both get moved to their
respective places.

>> (If I'm wrong about any of that, then please let me know.)
>> Don't think I've tried picard, so I'll give that a go.
>
> picard uses musicbrainz, which for me has proven pretty good up to now.
> It sometimes gets things wrong though - a little manual TLC can come in
> useful.
>
>> My ideal tag editor (and music player) would be foobar (for windows).
>> It's about the one bit of software I haven't found a similar replacement
>> for in Linux (in my opinion). Although gmusicbrowser comes close.
>
> If you mean foobar2000 it's reported to work more or less perfectly
> under wine:
>
> http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=14597
>
> So if all else fails...
Tempting, although I've managed to avoid Wine so far. Perhaps I should
try and delve into the code behind ex falso... to "fix" it ;)

Leo