From: hampshire-boun...@mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:hampshire-boun...@mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Chris
Simmonds
Sent: 15 September 2009 17:15
To: hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk
Subject: [Hampshire] High availability database

Hi,

I have a situation where I need to keep data on several PCs on a LAN in
sync. Any PC may update the data, with suitable locking, which must be
pushed out to all the others. It must be possible for a PC to go down
and be brought back on line again without impacting the others. The
amount of data is not large - say a few thousand items - and the
population of PCs is also modest - maybe 50 of them. All will be running
some version of Red Hat Linux.

Has anyone worked on something along these lines?

One option I have considered is using, say, MySQL with one master node
replicating to all the others and some mechanism to elect a new master
if the original went down. But, that sounds messy. There must be a
neater solution?

Bye for now,
Chris.

--
Please post to: Hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk Web Interface:

Save Paper - Do you really need to print this e-mail?

Visit www.virginmedia.com for more information, and more fun.

This email and any attachments are or may be confidential and legally privileged
and are sent solely for the attention of the addressee(s). If you have received
this
email in error, please delete it from your system: its use, disclosure or
copying is
unauthorised. Statements and opinions expressed in this email may not represent
those of Virgin Media. Any representations or commitments in this email are
subject to contract. Please note that we are migrating our email addresses to a
company wide address of "@virginmedia.co.uk". If you are sending to a Telewest
or
ntl email address your email will be re-directed.

Registered office: 160 Great Portland Street, London W1W 5QA.