On 18/09/09 11:20, Vic wrote:

>> (with the added bonus that you could end up with a kernel RPM not just a
>> binary an modules, which can be easily installed and removed, creating
>> the initrd where appropriate)
>
> Building from SRPM is a good idea if you want RH's patches, but if you
> want a vanilla kernel, you can just "make rpm" and it will create one.
>
> You need all the initrd&  depmod tools available if you want it to create
> an initrd at installation time, of course.

Indeed. But on a CentOS system, I would probably want to use the patched
version - they base their setup from Red Hat SRPMs, so the most
appropriate patches (and .config options) are likely to be applied.
Also the installation and removal scripts will match those of the
vendor-provided existing kernels

Horses for courses etc etc :)

Stuart
--