On Monday 05 October 2009 18:21:56 john lewis wrote:
> However I would like to say that one of the reasons I use Debian is
> that I haven't needed to reinstall* it since I put that first system
> on a PC ten years or so ago. I have just moved seamlessly from one year
> to the next with daily apt-get update (nowadays the update bit is taken
> care by cron-apt) and apt-get upgrade (nowadays aptitude safe-upgrade)

Gentoo is similar, except that the 'apt-get upgrade' bit is seen as
an unnecessary step, and they've managed to pretty much remove the
concept of versioning above the level of individual packages.

> For example there are problems with gnome-desktop in the testing
> version of Debian I am using on my Acer Netbook and making the wrong

Again, you don't have a 'testing version of Gentoo', stable/unstable
labels are applied at the level of an individual package version, not
the system level.

All that flexibility comes at the cost of some extra complexity
and a few quirks. Whether the costs outweigh the benefits or not
depends on your own personal preferences.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): s...@glendale.org.uk